Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Smell of Spring

I walked out my front door yesterday morning and breathed deep! What a wonderful scent. The smell of spring is finally here. You know the one I am talking about, the smell of rain, the trees, etc. Also the sounds of spring are here as well. Water dripping, birds chirping, wondering if that sound in the trees is a moose or bear.

We have a huge puddle in our yard now that breakup is here. We have been seeing some moose and plenty of birds. It is so nice to walk out into 40 degrees in the morning and not having to wear a jacket. Although, I am slipping on the ice that is quickly melting up the driveway to get the paper every morning.

I am quickly starting to get anxious about getting our summer projects getting done. Spring and summer is so fleeting here in Alaska. We have a long list since this is our first summer in our house and we have added one more with our wood boiler by having to cut wood for the coming winter. I did get some done before breakup hit. I went and bought myself a chainsaw and yes it is purple and I can start it. I have been teasing Brent that his wife doesn't go by jewelry or something else that is feminine, I by a chainsaw so I can hear it roar! I have to have it for when he is gone as I cannot start the other one. I moved a cord of wood on Thursday of last week. I had fun cutting! I am still regretting it though as my back is still giving me problems with the size of the logs that I put in the back of the truck. I do so enjoy the work though and getting out in the woods. Splashing through the puddles was the height of enjoyment for the kids.

1 comment:

Sierra said...

Congrats on the new chainsaw. That is fun. Glad to hear things are thawing out up there and you are getting a jumpstart on summer projects. Good luck.