Saturday, January 26, 2008

Newspaper Topics

I have been following in the newspaper several topics related to Alaska. The AGIA(natural gas pipeline), parital-birth abortion becoming a felony in this state, the caucuses, and it wouldn't be Alaska if we didn't include gold panning.
AGIA has been huge right now because there were 7 proposals sent to the state from different companies and only one met the requirements set out by the state. It has been kind of comical to watch ConocoPhilips pout about their proposal being shot down. The key to theirs is that it does not guarantee a pipeline being built. While I am not so sure about awarding it to a Canadian company, at least theirs guarantees a pipeline being built. I do want to see the pipeline benefit Alaskans. After all my children will most likely end up working on it in their lifetime. But I also don't want to see the state getting pushed around by the big oil companies.
Partial-birth abortion has been proposed to the legislature as a felony in Alaska, which I am all for. Those of you who know me know that I would prefer it be banned all together but we can take it one step at a time. With the pregnancy rates here and the ages that young girls are getting pregnant it will be tough.
Uggh! Is it another election year already? Just watching the mud slinging has been enough to turn my stomach. There is a movement here that is calling for the backing of Ron Paul, which I am not backing at this point. I get so frustrated with the fact that the only ones that matter in the presidential election anymore are the ones labeled Republican or Democrat. I have to say it sure depends on the candidate.
With gold prices at an all time high gold panning has once again become more than just a hobby. There are more than a few amateurs that are purchasing sluice boxes, gold pans, etc. I for one am not one that is willing to stand in a stream in freezing water like the guy that I saw in the paper this morning. Like he said you end up spending just as much as you make. For any of you who might have suddenly got gold fever remember that!

No comments: